Tonight’s group discussion was very informative and made me appreciate that the care of children “pendulum” has swung to this side.  By this I mean the options available to families and their children in our community.  In theory, a parent no longer has to conform to one ideology of learning and childhood.  For example, if a child needs a more directive approach, Montessori and Waldorf programs are available.  For parents wanting a less structured environment where they can participate, the child-directed play model of Strong Start would better suit their needs.  Roots of Empathy is not a program that families can register for; rather it is a classroom-based program that strives to lay the foundation of empathy in primary students.  Children are introduced and “adopt” an infant for the school year.  Of all the models presented, Kat’s program model for teen moms is the one that interested me the most.  I think it would be personally rewarding to support a teen mom who was continuing to pursue her education.